Monday, January 9, 2012

Metal Monday: Lord Stereo

Programming note: Nearly a full month without posting. Two reasons: 1) I bit off more than I could chew with my initial posting schedule, and 2) I'm studying for the Nevada bar exam. The latter is taking up quite a bit of my basketball-viewing time and even more of my posting time, so I expect that I won't post much over the next couple of months. I do hope to post a bit more often, though, especially with conference play starting to ramp up and some really interesting stuff happening (surprising Big East teams, Wisconsin losing three straight Big Ten games, etc.).

One thing I also plan to resume/keep going is Metal Monday. And so, via Metal Underground, I give you the stream of the debut album of Lord Stereo, a Polish garage band.



Released in October of last year, the self-titled album is six songs of simple, up-tempo rock music. Although it's not as heavy as a lot of stuff I listen to these days, what really caught my attention was how similar the lead singer's voice is to Faith No More frontman Michael Patton's. There's only one Mike Patton, and I don't mean to suggest Lord Stereo's guy (whoever he is -- I couldn't find him in a quick Internet search) possesses anything close to that level of versatility or creativity.

But it does bring me back a bit to the first genre of music I felt a connection to -- the garage and alternative rock of the early 90s (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, in addition to Faith No More). It's worth a lesson, and if you like it, you can download it for six bucks here. (You can stream it there, too, in case the Metal Underground link doesn't work.)

No comments:

Post a Comment