Thursday, November 3, 2011

Basketball Prospectus' Fake Season

If there's one good thing to say about the NBA lockout, it's that it has brought generations of stat geeks together.

In lieu of a real NBA season, Basketball Prospectus and Strat-O-Matic have teamed up to give us box scores to read every morning by simulating the full NBA season, right on schedule. Opening night saw the Bulls take down the defending champion Mavs in Dalls, while the second night of the fake season produced a bevy of close games.

Strat-o-Matic is simulating the entire NBA schedule using its electronic platform (though the board game is still available!), using Basketball Prospectus' player projections as the fuel. No one, to my knowledge, has started a meta-fantasy league based on this yet (I got no takers when I suggested it to a few guys in my league), but if one starts, someone let me know so I can join.

It's not the real thing. It's not even close. But it's kind of fun, nonetheless. Visit Basketball Prospectus daily for the updates; if you miss a day, check the Sim Season archive.

No comments:

Post a Comment